Skip to content

Presentation of Budureasa

Budureasa (Hungarian: Bondoraszó) is a commune in Bihor County, Crișana, Romania, comprising the villages of Budureasa (the seat), Burda, Saca, Săliște de Beiuș, and Teleac. The commune also includes the Stâna de Vale resort.

Documentarily attested since 1583, Budureasa is undoubtedly much older. According to popular etymology, the name comes from “burnt stumps” (buturi arse).

From our ancestors, we know that in December 1600, some representatives from our villages went to Beiuș to welcome the great voivode Michael the Brave, who stayed for three days (December 6-8) in the fortress of Finiș and in Beiuș. The passage of the great voivode through Beiuș deeply moved the hearts of the Romanians in this area, making the presence of some people from Budureasa quite natural.

On August 28, 1660, Oradea was occupied by the Turks, and in 1661, Beiuș and all the surrounding villages became a Turkish pashalik until July 30, 1686, when the Austrian army drove them out of Beiuș, and on June 6, 1692, from Oradea.

In 1692, Beiuș fell under the long and arduous occupation of the Habsburg Empire. The hardships, deprivations, and troubles of the peasants who revolted in 1784, led by Horea, Cloșca, and Crișan, were the same for the inhabitants of Budureasa. Worse, the Austro-Hungarian rule, with its harsh policy of denationalization, banned the use of the Romanian language, with official records at the town hall being made in Hungarian, and schoolchildren being forced to learn from Hungarian primers. The Revolution of 1848 had echoes, especially among the teachers and priests in the commune. The actions for national and social emancipation of the Romanians in 1905 also included teacher Goina Gheorghe from Budureasa.

Many villagers were enlisted during World War I. During that period, fathers and sons from several families met on the battlefield, with women, the elderly, and children bearing the burden at home. Physically injured and deeply hurt emotionally, only a small part of those who left managed to return home to their families.

At the Great National Assembly in Alba Iulia (December 1, 1918), the commune had representatives in the persons of Dan Ioan (Ionica lu Dan-padurar) and Goina Florian, a priest in Mizieș, born in Budureasa. Other locals, present at the great act of Union, made the journey on foot over the mountains, including Magda Vasile (Salea).

Through the agrarian reform of 1921, war widows received land in the villages of Regina Maria (now Avram Iancu, Bihor County) and in Salonta – colony. Significant efforts for implementing the reform in Budureasa were made by Matiu Traian. According to the Law of April 11, 1929, the villages of Budureasa, Carbunari, along with the villages of Nimăiești and Șinmărin, were endowed with an area of 1037 iugăre and 354 stânjeni of pasture, located 4 km in Micău.